Saturday, March 12, 2011

Oatmeal Queen & Something Green: Day 12

Strawberry Banana Smoothie Oatmeal
1/2 c quick oats
3/4 c milk
1 packet of Splenda
3 tbsp of strawberry banana yogurt
Strawberries to mix/top

In a bit of a hurry this morning since we were heading out of town, so I didn't think much about this recipe.

We're in Dayton! It was great weather for driving...so great I actually wished I could have been outside more. It was in the high 50's and maybe even it the 60's in Dayton today. I'll take that kind of weather during this break:) Enjoyed a yummy salmon dinner by Chuck and Marilyn and then watched a chick flick with Marilyn while the guys did their own thing. Now I am just thinking about the new ingredients available to me for my oatmeal recipes while we are here.

Speaking of food...I have decided (a few days late) that I am going to give up candy and sugary snacks. I have been wanting to try decreasing my sugar intake and Lent seemed like an appropriate time to sacrifice something I really like to remind me daily of Christ's ultimate sacrifice. I am not cutting sugar out completely because there are SO many things with sugar in them (like salad dressing I learned). But I am going to avoid candy, cookies, pastries...sugary snacks and try to limit the other items I eat that contain some sugar to things with no more than 15g sugar added. I may learn quickly that includes or does not include a lot, I'm not really sure. But I'll learn more about what foods have sugar in them and I will be doing a lot of praying when I am craving candy and sugary foods especially because Easter candy (particularly Cadbury Creme Eggs) is out right now. Are you giving up anything for Lent? I'm hoping it will be a journey of remembering Christ, growing in Him and also learning to make better eating choices. Already praying for restraint from the peanut butter cups on the counter;) Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.

No comments: