Forgetting to pray for family and friends is something that I don't want to do and sometimes it's just because I don't make the time in my day to do it. I can only hope that I am not the only one. I think that the more creative I can be with something the more I remember or even make the time for it. And I thought that I would share some ideas for how you can keep your family and friends in your hearts and prayers on a regular basis. Some simple ways to enjoy making the time to pray for others, to help you to remember to pray for others.
Days of the Week: This idea is pretty straight forward. Choose specific days of the week that you will dedicate to praying for one or more specific people. If it helps you to remember, write down your list and look at it each day. As you pray for these people regularly on the same day each week it will become natural and you'll be automatically thinking about them and praying for them on their day without looking at your list.
Prayer Rocks: A VERY simple craft project to help you to pray for others regularly. It can end up looking like a decorative piece on your coffee table or night stand with the purpose of PRAYER.
Supplies needed:
- Rocks (I found some smooth, black rocks at Michael's for $2 for 2 bags)
- Fine tip paint marker (I used silver so it would show up on the black rocks)
- Plate or bowl
- Names of those you want to pray for
I used the paint marker and wrote names on the flattest side of each of the black rocks. Then I used an extra plate we have lying around and I spread the rocks out with the names face down on the plate. Place the plate/bowl of rocks in a place that will look as if it is a decorative element in a room that you would normally have your quite time and pray. Each day pick one (or more depending on the number of rocks you have and how frequently you want to pray for each person). This is how you will choose to pray for that day. You can hold the rock in your hand while you pray for the person as if you are praying over them like you would if they were in the room with you and you hold their hand or place your hand on their shoulder. Then when you are done with your prayer time place the rock back on the plate/bowl face up. This is how you will keep track of who you have prayed for that week. When you have flipped over all the rocks you can start over again.
Prayer Verses: This can be a short term or long term way of praying for others. The purpose is to select a bible verse to pray over specific people. Pray for God's wisdom to show you a verse for the person. Also know what is going on in the person life and what they may need prayer for in the present or for a longer period of time (like during a pregnancy). When you have selected a verse mark it in your bible, write in on an index card or on something that you can easily look at during your prayer time. As you are praying for this person, pray the verse you have selected for them. As you become familiar with the verse and praying God's word try putting the person's name in the verse as you say it. Hopefully you will become familiar enough with the verse that you can pray it without looking or pray at other times in the day when the Lord puts that person on your heart.
Popsicle Prayers: This one may be fun for involving your kids in praying for others (it was an idea a college roommate gave me). Buy some Popsicle sticks at a craft store or dollar store. Use markers to write the names of those you want to pray for on each stick. Put the stick with the name ends down in a mug/cup and set it out somewhere you normally are when you have your quite time and pray. Similar to the rocks, select one or more Popsicle sticks each day and pray for the person you have selected. Place the stick back in the cup with the name end up so you can keep track of who you have prayed for that week.
I'd love to hear other ideas that you might have. I'll be honest and say that I have a hard time sitting, being quiet and just praying in my head to the Lord. So to I try ways of praying that help engage me better in the process and I feel more of a connection to God in my prayers than being distracted by other thoughts in my mind, sounds that I hear outside or feeling sleepy. I know I'm not the only one who has been distracted or fallen asleep while trying to pray for others. Post your ideas, I'd love to hear them!
1 comment:
All great ideas. We use to do "popcorn prayers" as a kid. Ask Josh about it .... it wasn't what you would typically think of as a "popcorn prayer." :)
Post a Comment