Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dartboard Cabinet

I didn't realize that I was going to have a goal for this month (or even this year) until Jenean placed on the blog that it was my goal to make a dart board cabinet. So here I am writing on the blog for really the first time. I have come to realize that this is important especially for my parents since they seem to frequent our blog!

The entire dartboard cabinet idea started when Jenean bought me a dart board for Christmas and it was a plastic tip board. I really wanted a steel tip board but she was concerned about our walls in the apartment. Therefore, the idea was born to make a dart board cabinet. The only problem left was how to get a steel tip dart board at a reasonable price. This problem was solved by our Goodwill store where I found a dartboard with 4 sets of darts in a cabinet for $10. I was able to reuse the hinges, darts, board, and chalk boards which saved a lot of money.

With the dartboard in hand I started by buying some new tools to make the process a little easier. (Oh and I will always take an opportunity to buy tools) The FLUKE meter wasn't on my list but is by far my favorite tool (I was able to get it for $5 at Goodwill and fix it into working condition. I considered selling it since it retails for $150 but realize I will never purchase one and therefore am keeping it) Jenean for some off reason likes the dovetail saw.





After making the purchases it was off to cutting the wood. I cut most of it outside on the porch when it was 55 degrees in early January but forgot to rip the doors so when it was 10 degrees outside I went into the bathroom and made the last cuts. I was rather ambitious at the beginning and attempted to make the box out of dovetails yet failed miserably. I have been told is a hard skill to learn and I wasn't happy with how mine turned out so I cut the tails off and drove screws into the sides covering them with wood dowel pins.



This is the first step of staining with only the frame. In all it took 3 coats as I used two different stains followed by two coats of polyurithane.


Lastly, the outside. This took a while as I had to cut out a template for the Steelers emblem.


The final product!!







Who knows what my next goal will be...maybe survive my last big semester!!!

5 comments:

melissa said...

Cool Josh! It looks really, really good. I really like the logo:)

j & j moore said...

It looks awesome hun! You put a lot of hard work into it and it turned out great. Look forward to using it over the many years to come. And blog posting seems to suit you:) - Jenean

Marilyn said...

Wow I'm very impressed Joshua! It looks like it is professionally made especially with the Steeler emblem. It looks perfect in that nook. Love, mom

Marilyn said...

Grandma & grandpa Frazier saw your blot as I sent them the link. They sewed very impressed with what you and Jeanen have done. Mom

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job Joshua!!!!!! Looks great! I know who you didn't get your woodworking skills from :)

Love, Dad