Monday, April 11, 2011

Crocheted bags: Mother Daughter set

I have been enjoying learning new craft skills and making new things since we've been in T-Ville. I came across a blog with a video tutorial walking me through how to make a crocheted handbag. I am a visual learner so this was awesome to find and much easier to follow than reading a pattern. I made a couple of bags to start out and I am using them for personal use (one holds my crochet supplies and the other I use for books to and from the library). Once I felt comfortable with the pattern I decided to make some gifts. I ended up making a Starling Bag (the one with the tutorial as indicated below the pics) and a wristlet (which I also found on the blog mentioned below).

I also give credit to my wonderful husband who helped me with the designs and mathematics that came into play when cutting the fabric and making the lining. Thanks hun!

Mother-Daughter Starling and Wristlet Bags

This is the bag that I made for my mother-in-law's birthday.

 

This is the wristlet I made for my sister-in-law's birthday:

















I used two colors of yarn and used a touch of the opposite color in each bag. I used the same fabric for the lining, added similar color buttons and a Kanzashi flower pin that can be removed from the bag and used elsewhere if desired.
















If you want to learn how to make the bags above check out Alice's blog FutureGirl at the link below:

http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/labels/crochet.aspx
Scroll down to June 23 - July 21, 2010 to view the tutorial episodes for the Starling bag

Also, if you'd like to know how to make the flowers that I turned into pins, click the link below to the FutureGirl blog post on Kanzashi hairpins:

http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2009/7/my-kanzashi-hairpin.aspx

I'll be making more crafts through the year, just maybe not at the same rate as when I was not working...but SO thankful to have a job:)




4 comments:

melissa said...

They're very cute Jenean! Thanks again!!!

Marilyn said...

I'm the proud owner of the "Mother" crocheted purse. It is really well made and very beautiful. I love the inside pocket for a cell phone and the detachable pin on the outside that you can wear with other clothing. Thanks again, Jenean. It is perfect!

Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Wow !! What a wonderful job of making those purses ! You need to set up a table at a craft fair somewhere !

Jon and Tara Pickard said...

Nean..such a great job with these! They are super cute. :)